Crochet Christmas Presents Ideas

Image
  As a student, Christmas time is an exciting time once exams are over and you get to go home however it is a really tricky time because of how expensive it is.  This week I'm going to consider ways that I can gift my family members crochet gifts (probably as well as some proper ones). This may be a very easy task if you have a relative which has a very similar style to you however I have two brothers and all male cousins non of which would appreciate  this top  or  this top . I will link patterns that I plan on making as well as photos of projects that I am currently making. With a lot of older female relatives, I plan on making a fair amount of scarves but want to find either some really nice yarn or an intricate pattern. Pinterest was a huge inspiration for these designs however a lot look fairly complicated and I am a beginner still so am expecting a fair amount of trial and error in the coming weeks. These  Turtle Coasters by Gina Jiang  would make super cute Christmas present

Why I crochet



 When I began crocheting, my main driver was the cost-saving element and the creative aspect was secondary but as I continue to crochet I can see my motives changing.

Crochet and Sustainability

The business course that I am currently studying has made me aware of the UN`s sustainable development goals and the abundance of issues surrounding fast fashion. Participating in a method of slow fashion is very important to me and allows me to feel as if I am making a difference in the current climate where change is necessary.

 I now own a few wearable crochet pieces that I have made and can confirm that I look for excuses to wear them a lot more than my other clothing pieces, the heightened sentimental value definitely makes a difference and the sense of personal gratification when being complimented on my pieces.

I look to purchase my yarn from ethical suppliers and ideally small businesses,https://lindehobby.co.uk/ is my go-to website as a lot of the yarn is recycled and the customer service is a lot better than more prominent suppliers like amazon. Living in a big city, I really should find the time to visit local wool shops as I know this is the most sustainable and also the fastest way to purchase my yarn however my life is very busy at the moment and the ease of ordering online does often outweigh the other factors.

Crochet and Self-help 

I find crocheting very therapeutic and relaxing. For myself, I can set the stakes as high as I wish depending on the complexity of the design. I often watch Netflix while crocheting and find it a good individual activity to distract myself from the issues and stressors of student life.

I personally am not very good at following crochet patterns so find this a good way to express creativity in designing my own sketches or creating a pattern in my head.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So cool and also sustainable, love that!
Anonymous said…
Think I might start crocheting !!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Cream Crop Crochet Top

Blue Two-tone Crochet Crop Top